COM Add-in did not load - fixed by installing in Program Files


#1

Daniel, your software is amazing.
Unfortunately, after noticing on Windows 10 in the Office 365 version of Excel that the XL Toolbox tab was gone (it previously worked fine for months), I uninstalled then reinstalled.

The installation process went fine as admin.
But when I try to add the XL Toolbox from the Excel>DeveloperTab>Add-ins>COM Add-Ins, the check option showed that the tool was unloaded.

Picture:

I had tried numerous times to check the box and press OK… nothing changed.
I also checked the registry, and everything seemed to be in its right place.

My only thought was that the Location: “file:///C:/Users/…” might be causing an issue. I only noticed because the other addins were all in the program files directories.

So, I unsinstalled. Then I reinstalled (XLToolbox-7.3.4.exe) as admin and used “C:\Program Files\XLToolbox” as the directory. Everything is now working as expected.
I began writing this post while it was not loaded, then solved the problem. So, this is a potential bug report, but I don’t really need followup.

Between the last time I used the XLToolbox and today, there was a server migration. So, maybe that had something to do with it. I have no idea.

Keep up the great work!


#2

Thanks for this report! Over the past months, I have received a number of similar reports. While I personally have not experienced problems installing the Toolbox on Office 365/Windows 10, others users do. It’s unpredictable. Your solution might help others get it installed after all.

Microsoft have introduced a new “application programming interface” (API) for Office add-ins, which is based on JavaScript. While they still support the traditional .NET-based add-ins (with something called ‘Visual Studio Tools for Office’, VSTO), and even still support the ancient Visual Basic for Applications, I get the impression that JavaScript is the future of Office add-in development.

While I would love to explore moving the XL Toolbox to JavaScript, this would be yet another major rewrite of this add-in (which used to be a plain old Visual Basic for Applications add-in). At the same time, I have close to zero spare time to even maintain this add-in. So I’m glad when users find a way to make it work for themselves.

An additional issue is that I really should code-sign the add-in, i.e. use a cryptographic certificate to prove the authenticity of the add-in. Unfortunately, these certificates cost a lot of money and have to be renewed on an annual (or biennial, …) basis. If I were to do this, I’d have to change the business model and offer the add-in for money. I don’t really want to to that. However, code-signing would probably solve a lot of installation issues, because Microsoft get more and more picky (and rightly so) about installing pieces of software that are not signed with a certificate.